Getting web content past distcheck

From: John Kodis
Subject: Getting web content past distcheck
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:11:06 -0400

I'm trying to configure an application that installs a web page and a
cgi script in the web server's directory tree.  I've AC_SUBST'ed the
value of WEBDIR to /var/www in my configure.ac file, and in my
Makefile.am have used the lines:

   htmldir = $(WEBDIR)/html/$(PACKAGE)
   cgidir  = $(WEBDIR)/cgi-bin/$(PACKAGE)

to get the web pages and cgi-bin scripts installed in the /var/www
directory tree.  This all works fine, except that "make distcheck"
only works when run as root, since make tries to install these files
under /var/www rather than under the _inst directory.

I've tried adding $(DESTDIR) and @DESTDIR@ in various places, but
haven't found the magical invocation that will get distcheck to run
successfully.

-- John Kodis.