feature requests - ?

From: Austin Schutz
Subject: feature requests - ?
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:57:24 -0700

        Recently I've had the priviledge of creating a mixed language package
involving perl, among other tools.

        Perl includes a pretty handy build tool of its own for building
perl Modules (Build.PL) which takes care of all the perl dependencies in
its own way. I've embedded the use of this tool in my Makefile.am so upon
make & make install, the right things happen:

perl_SCRIPTS = Build

Build: Build.PL
        rm -f Build; \
        $(PERL) Build.PL --install_base $(prefix); \
        ./Build;

# This runs after the main install, which installs non-perl items
install-data-local:
        ./Build install

        However, Build also has its own method for cleaning itself up,
too. I _could_ just clean it up myself, but that isn't forward compatible
with future Build.PLs. So my current method for accomplishing this is to
redefine:

distclean: distclean-recursive
        -rm -f $(am__CONFIG_DISTCLEAN_FILES)

        as:

distclean: perlrealclean distclean-recursive
        rm -f Build; \
        rm -f rancid*.gz; \
       -rm -f $(am__CONFIG_DISTCLEAN_FILES)

        Which works, but is may be difficult to maintain, is different on
leaf directories, and kludgy.
        So how about a feature like (type)-clean-local? Is there another way
of doing this more obvious that I'm missing?

        Thanks,
        Austin