Re: difference between link objects and librarys

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: difference between link objects and librarys
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:42:57 +0200

* David T Farning wrote on Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 12:41:00AM CEST:
> I am unclear as to the difference between LIBADD and LDADD.  Diffent
> resources seems to say different things.

To make it clear:

Whether to use *_LDADD or *_LIBADD, does not depend on what's to the
right of it (may that be a Libtool library, a "normal" library, or
merely object files), but what's to the left of _LDADD or _LIBADD
respectively.

It makes a difference whether you are trying to *build* a program or
a library.  So, it's always
  fooprogram_LDADD
and
  libfoo_a_LIBADD
  libbaz_la_LIBADD
and so on.

Does that help?

> >From
> http://www.murrayc.com/learning/linux/building_libraries/building_libraries.shtml.
>
>    Libtool libraries have the .la suffix, instead of .a
>    We need to use _LIBADD instead of_ LDADD.

Tell the author of this site to improve his wording, as it is not quite
clear on this point.

> For instance
>    lib_LTLIBRARIES = something.la
>    something_la_SOURCES = main.cc
>    something_la_LIBADD = sub/libsubstuff.la

This example is ok, however.  He just left out a few explaining steps.

Regards,
Ralf