Re: excessive bounces

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: excessive bounces
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 11:58:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Lars Hecking wrote:

o gnu.org has a prohibitively high volume of email, and SA/Bayes require
  massive resources. Therefore, the volume of mail going through SA or
  any other tool must be limited.

Bogofilter does a fine job of Bayesian filtering and is 50-100X faster than SpamAssassin. Surely it does not offer the extra features of SpamAssassin, but using it would help considerably, and should keep up with gnu.org performance requirements.

o Excessive whitelisting: all current gnu.org subscribers should be white-
  listed, so that their email bypasses anti-spam. Yes, that'll still leave
  the problem of subscribed spammers, but I believe there won't be too many.

This does not work at all. A huge amount of email I receive are bounces or anti-SPAM notices from forged emails sent using my address. More than likely I have received many SPAM emails claiming to be from Lars Hecking. :-)

o Ruthless use of DNS blacklists before mails reach anti-spam. Most of
  spam on GNU lists originates from "known bad boys" - Korea, China,
  dialup/dyn-ip hosts, Comcast, *bell etc. Recommended reading:
  http://makeashorterlink.com/?D20312968.
  sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org alone would probably work wonders.

Usually this is good, but lately I have been noticing that substantial email is arbitrarily rejected due temporary local DNS issues or bugs. It is not pleasant to be on the wrong end of this.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden