Re: [Bug-tar] Re: AMTAR brokenness

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: [Bug-tar] Re: AMTAR brokenness
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:47:43 +0200

>>> "Sergey" == Sergey Poznyakoff <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 Sergey> Returning to the question which format should be chosen for
 Sergey> distribution tarballs: I would recommend the 'ustar' format.
 Sergey> It also has a limitation on the maximum length of stored pathnames,
 Sergey> but the limitation is 256 characters, which is reasonably large.
 Sergey> Besides, ustar archives can be read by any existing implementation
 Sergey> of tar.

By the way, the pax manpage from the Heirloom Toolchest
(http://heirloom.berlios.de/man/pax.1.html) mentions that "due
to implementation errors, file names longer than 99 characters
can not considered to be generally portable" when taking about
the ustar format.

I think it's the only place where I've read this.  Has anybody
seen such implementation?  I'm tempted to think we shouldn't
care.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz