Re: distcheck failure: version.texi

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: distcheck failure: version.texi
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:31:57 +0100

* Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote on Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:34:44PM CET:

>  Ralf> With current CVS automake, 'make distcheck' fails on automake,
>
> On which OS? with which version of Make, sh, etc.?

RedHat 9: linux 2.4.20, GNU make 3.79.1, bash 2.05b.0(1),
CVS autoconf (last I could access: ChangeLog dated 2003-11-26),
separate source and build dir, both having beed used for months
(cd $srcdir && cvs up && cd build && make), local disk.

>  Ralf> because readonly file version.texi in readonly directory
>  Ralf> cannot be written to.
>
>  Ralf> I suppose the change from 2003-11-08 caused this, but as I don't
>  Ralf> understand all the implications, I won't suggest a fix.
>
> I've run distcheck successfully at least 4 times since that date
> (in order to upload the betas), so I'm quite surprised.
>
> Maybe a specific combination of timestamps is required?  Could
> you post a link to a tarball of your files with instructions
> how to reproduce the problem from it?

Actually, this looks like a Heisenbug of some sort, since I cannot
reproduce it easily.  Might be caused by my other changes touching
automake.texi, in combination with created info files lying around
in several places.

Unless I can recreate the situation, please regard this as non-bug.
Sorry for the noise and the high reply latency.

Regards,
Ralf