Re: Makefile dependency

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Makefile dependency
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 05:20:17 +0100

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 00:43, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> [...]
>
>  Lulin> I have "AM_MAINTAINER_MODE' in configure.in file.
>
> This macros is documented to do what you reported.
Hmm, from automake-1.7.8's automake.info:

`AM_MAINTAINER_MODE'
     This macro adds a `--enable-maintainer-mode' option to
     `configure'.  If this is used, `automake' will cause
     `maintainer-only' rules to be turned off by default in the
     generated `Makefile.in's. This macro defines the `MAINTAINER_MODE'
     conditional, which you can use in your own `Makefile.am'.

Now have a look at this:

automake-1.4 used this:
Makefile: $(srcdir)/Makefile.in  $(top_builddir)/config.status $(BUILT_SOURCES)
        cd $(top_builddir) \
          && CONFIG_FILES=$@ CONFIG_HEADERS= $(SHELL) ./config.status

automake-1.7 uses this:
Makefile: @MAINTAINER_MODE_TRUE@ $(srcdir)/Makefile.in
$(top_builddir)/config.status
        cd $(top_builddir) && $(SHELL) ./config.status $@ $(am__depfiles_maybe)

=> automake-1.7's AM_MAINTAINER_MODE deactivates regeneration of
Makefile's.

I am inclined to interpret this as a bug and/or regression from earlier
versions of automake.

Ralf