managing subdirectories

From: Kai Ludwig
Subject: managing subdirectories
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:12:07 +0200

Hi All,

I have a question about managing subdirectories with
autoconf/automake.

Our project contains several independent packages. For
each package we have a subdirectory and each subdirectory
has a configure script.
From the top level configure script the user should choose
wether s/he wants to compile a specific package or not.

e.g.:  ./configure --enable-gui

By now (and that solution works with autoconf-2.53 and automake-1.6.3)
we use the AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS macro in the top level configure.in
file:

if test "x$gui" = xtrue; then
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(Utilities GUI)
else
if test "x$model" = xtrue; then
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(Model)
else
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS(Utilities GUI Model)
fi
fi

Trying the same code with autoconf-2.57 and automake-1.7.7 results in the
following error when running automake:

configure.in:29: error: `Utilities' is already registered with
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS.
/usr/local/src/autoconf/autoconf-2.57/lib/autoconf/status.m4:1073:
AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS is expanded from...
configure.in:29: the top level

I think there is a problem with the new automake-1.7.7 version.
It seems to me that it cannot handle the

if .. else ...

statements above.
Or maybe there is a better/standard solution for our purpose ?

With regards
Kai

--
http://echempp.sourceforge.net