Re: automake and shared libraries

From: Mattias Brändström
Subject: Re: automake and shared libraries
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:16:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> Let Libtool build the intermediary libraries.
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/automake/2003-07/msg00064.html

OK, that clears things up a bit. I tried to do it the way that you
suggested but I run into some problems. This is one of my Makefile.am's:

-- begin --
noinst_LIBRARIES = libcommon.a
libcommon_a_SOURCES = Exception.cpp IOException.cpp Vector2.cpp \
                      AxisAlignedBox.cpp DOMUtil.cpp

noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libcommon.pub.la
libcommon_pub_la_SOURCES = Exception.cpp IOException.cpp Vector2.cpp \
                           AxisAlignedBox.cpp DOMUtil.cpp

commonincludedir = ${includedir}/rkcone/common
commoninclude_HEADERS = Exception.h IOException.h Vector2.h \
                        AxisAlignedBox.h DOMUtil.h
-- end --

I want to link some things to a static library and some things to a shared
library. Furthermore the shared library will in some cases only contain a
subset of what's in the static library. With the above Makefile.am I get
the following errors when I run automake:

-- begin --
automake: src/rkcone/common/Makefile.am: object `Exception.lo' created
both with libtool and without
automake: src/rkcone/common/Makefile.am: object `IOException.lo' created
both with libtool and without
automake: src/rkcone/common/Makefile.am: object `Vector2.lo' created both
with libtool and without
automake: src/rkcone/common/Makefile.am: object `AxisAlignedBox.lo'
created both with libtool and without
automake: src/rkcone/common/Makefile.am: object `DOMUtil.lo' created both
with libtool and without
-- end --

I suspect there is an obvious solution to this that I am missing. Can
someone set a library building newbie on the right path here? =) What
should I do if I want to build a number of different versions of
libraries, static or dynamic with different contents?

:.:: mattias