Re: backward compatability of tools

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: backward compatability of tools
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:52:28 -0800

Chris Albertson <address@hidden> writes:

> What do you mean "gone the way of SunOS 4.x"?

> I set up a DNS and mail server on a Sun SPARC IPX ages ago at a place I
> used to work at.  The IPX has all of 32MB RAM and runs SunOS 4.x.  On
> such a low powered machine (20Mhz SPARC, I think) SunOS is perfect. And
> guess what?  "cc" the old K&R compiler, is still installed on that IPX
> too.  As I rememer, you need cc if ever you want to reconfigure some
> variables in the kernel, say to adjust to size of shared memory pool.

> I check from time to time and notice the DNS server is still running.
> And I assume so is the mail server but there is a firewall blocking port
> 25.

I think that's pretty much what's meant by "gone the way of SunOS 4.x,"
namely that pretty much the only SunOS 4.x boxes left are ones that have
been running completely untouched for years and where if they ever break,
they're likely to just be replaced.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>