Re: proposal to fork the build-tools projects

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: proposal to fork the build-tools projects
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:02:07 -0400

           > It could be that we should tell people to use Bash to build
           > GNU packages if their native shells have trouble handling the
           > job.  That would be a smaller change and perhaps worth doing.

    How is `bash' built?

People can probably get pre-built binaries of Bash.

    GNU ALREADY has this property that you dislike wasting effort on, and
    it does result in wasted effort (it appears to me).  My proposal to
    fork the build tools is a way to eliminate the wasted effort without
    purturbing the useful structure it currently preseerves.

I just don't see it.  Unfortunately I can't afford to spend time
thinking about it.  There is too much else that I have to do.
If Autoconf developers start saying they think this will make
their work easier, that is something I will listen to.