Re: can't get away from automake on remote machine

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: can't get away from automake on remote machine
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:00:43 -0500

    Skip> I have a few questions.  First, what's causing the "cannot remove"
    Skip> error when the configure script is executed?

    adl> That could be an NFS server which reuse inode numbers.  The Linux
    adl> user-mode NFS server (unfsd) is known for this.  Switch to using
    adl> kernel NFS server if that's your case.

Thanks.  There's not much I can do about that unfortunately (it's a client's
site).

    Skip> Second, why does missing want to execute automake?

    adl> The tool you used to carry your files (here, CVS) messed their
    adl> timestamps.  Use `make dist' if you need something more accurate.

Thanks.  I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

I do want my clients to be able to check code out of CVS and make changes.
It's just that they will rarely need to fiddle the auto* generated files.
Is there no way to eliminate those dependencies from the generated Makefile?

Maybe I can just check a simple shell script into CVS that touches the
problematic files in the correct order.  If they encounter problems, they
can simply run the script to properly timestamp the files in question.
"make dist" would work fine for actual distributions, but not if they need
CVS access.

--
Skip Montanaro (address@hidden - http://www.mojam.com/)