Re: configure.ac warnings abou missing files

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Re: configure.ac warnings abou missing files
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:21:40 +0000

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 01:37:43PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Roger> When automake runs, I'm getting this:
> Roger> Running automake --gnu  ...
> Roger> configure.ac: 704: required file `src/main/gimpprint-config.in' not
> found
> Roger> configure.ac: 704: required file `src/main/gimpprint.pc.in' not found
>
> Roger> The two files do not exist because they are generated by
> Roger> configure, and then processed by config.status.  Is there any
> Roger> way to tell automake that these files are /supposed/ to be
> Roger> missing?
>
> Not right now.
>
> Does config.status find these files in the build tree?  That would
> surprise me.  (Or more precisely it would be another autoconf change I
> haven't kept up with.)
>
> OTOH, if you're building the files in the source tree, isn't it
> incorrect to build them in configure?

The files in question are created by configure itself with m4 macros
that output customised shell script/.pc files.  They contain @replaceme@
statements for substitution by config.status.

They will always be present for config.status due to being created by
configure.  They are removed by distclean.

I don't think this is common (or good?) practice, but allows generation
of complex shell script as you can use m4 to make it at autoconf time
using e.g. m4_shift and recursion to generate the template.  I have also
been trying to get m4 to generate m4 code, to embed in and then output
from configure, but it got too messy!

Regards,
Roger

--