Re: Plan for single Makefile

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Plan for single Makefile
Date: 31 Jul 2001 00:24:42 -0600

>> I'm sure there are other ways to implement.  More thought about the
>> alternatives is needed.

Lars>  Speeding up the build rocess is fine. But, what if i just want to
Lars>  cd into a project's subdir and do a make there?

It's true.  You lose this ability as stated.

However, you could do `make subdir/all' from the top level.

You could also write a GNUMakefile for each subdir which does the
right magic -- it would have to `cd <top-builddir> && make
subdir/<target you asked for>'.  I think there is a way to tell GNU
make how to do this.  You could even have an autoconf macro generate
the GNUMakefiles for you.

I don't mean to dismiss this feature out of hand.  Maybe this is
important enough to be considered a requirement.

Tom