Re: "make dist" calls "autoheader" ? duh...

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: "make dist" calls "autoheader" ? duh...
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:42:49 +0200

Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

>  gd> Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
>  >>
>  >> Actually, the first build after each run of aclocal will trigger
>  >> this (in your story that would be `make', not `make dist', so
>  >> maybe I'm commenting something else :)).
>  >>
>  gd> sadly, you do :))
>  gd> auto:
>  gd> aclocal && autoconf && autoheader && automake
>  gd> cross-make.sh auto
>  gd> configure && make && make dist AUTOHEADER=false
>  gd> ... booom!!
>
> I'm still not convinced we are not speaking about the same thing.
>
> Doesn't
>
> | cross-make.sh auto
> | configure && make AUTOHEADER=false
>
> fail too?  I believe it should.
>
> However, I think that
>
> | cross-make.sh auto
> | cross-make.sh
> | configure && make && make dist AUTOHEADER=false
>
> should work, because the second cross-make.sh will update the
> stamp files.

BINGO!! that's the point!! "make" does run *without* a problem,
and it is *indeed* supposed to update the stamp-file. *After*
the "make"-call, I try to call "make dist", and that one *will*
call autoheader AS-IF stamp-h was outdated. Weird, isn't it :-/

What's more, as the stamp-file is now updated, a second call
will succeed. Going through the whole round again, and the
problem is back again. I did even create a very small test
lib-project to minimize interference from rules of my project,
and know what - same thing there. I am still inconclusive
what triggers this behaviour.

>  gd> (as a side-note, you know that cross-make.sh from libsdl.org, and
>  gd> I just configure newstuff autotools to end up in local/cross-tools)
>
> Looks like a rather strange decision to me.
>
> (BTW, regarding cross-compilation, why do you need cross-make.sh
> at all? It adds /usr/local/cross-tools/i386-mingw32msvc/bin to
> the PATH which I found an evil thing to do for a maintainer: an
> autoconfiscated project ought to be able to cross-compile
> without changing the PATH.)
(yep, later autotool'ed stuff can do it, IFF everything is setup right,
 which is not in some off-home places that I happen to work too ;-} ...).

> [...]
>
>  gd> but now I'm going to see a bit of the sun out there,
>
> *sun*?  Were in Germany do you live to have sun? :) That's quite
> rare in France these days.  (Moreover my umbrella is broken.  It
> always rains when your umbrella has a release critical bug.)
almost 2000km from you, in Berlin, it's 28 celsius, damn, next car
has aircon (i'm still with that old student's car...) but the
satellite pics do look like rain in the next hours...
   http://europe.cnn.com/WEATHER/eu/Germany/BerlinEDBB.html
anyway, another good reason to check out the sun and do some
minor updates to some placess... ;-)     (address@hidden)

cheers,
-- guido