Re: symlinked files break "dist"-target

From: Felix Natter
Subject: Re: symlinked files break "dist"-target
Date: 09 May 2001 18:11:26 +0200

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:
> But right now I think we have two choices:
>
> 1. Always use `cp'
> 2. Disallow what you are trying to do.
>
> I'm inclined to #2.  Good performance in `distdir' seems to be a
> popular choice.  Also relative symlinks that point outside the package
> don't seem to be an important thing to support.
>
> However, as always, I'm open to arguments for #1, or other solutions I
> haven't considered.

I don't care much. It's easy enough for me to replace "ln" by "cp"
in Makefile before doing "make dist".

> Felix> Furthermore, the dist-target usually uses gtar, although I only
> Felix> have /bin/tar. Is there a way to detect $(TAR) ?
>
> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE should be doing that already.
> Why does it detect gtar when you don't have it?

no, there is a line "TAR = gtar" in Makefile.in, so this is probably
decided by automake. I reran "automake" in the source-tree, and the
line changed to "TAR = tar". I'll have to check why it was set to gtar..

--
Felix Natter