Re: Warning fix for automake on CVS Libtool

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Warning fix for automake on CVS Libtool
Date: 08 May 2001 18:10:19 +0200

| > Pavel> +      elsif (/address@hidden(code)?index (\w+)/)
| > Pavel> +        push @clean_suffixes, $2;

Yes Tom, I was not aware of the existence of defindex!  Thanks for
this patch Pavel.

| > My understanding is that here $1 will not necessarily be defined, but
| > $2 will always be defined.  Is that right?

Correct.

| Yes. I was 99.9% sure, but since you asked I wrote this script and it
| makes me 100% sure.
|
| #! /usr/bin/perl -w
| $_ = "address@hidden fu";
| /address@hidden(code)?index (\w+)/;
| print "\$1 = $1, \$2 = $2\n";
| $_ = "address@hidden fu";
| /address@hidden(code)?index (\w+)/;
| print "\$1 = $1, \$2 = $2\n";
|
| Output:
|
| $1 = code, $2 = fu
| Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) at ./test line 7.
| $1 = , $2 = fu

Depending upon the cases, I either use "$1 || ''" or

        /address@hidden((?:code)?)index (\w+)/;

but in the present case we don't need $1, do we?  In this case, I try
not to use it, i.e.,

        /address@hidden(?:code)?index (\w+)/;

| Don't you know that Automake has its
| documentation in the top-level directory?

I would like to move the documentation into doc/ in Automake.  OK with
that?  Same problem as for *.am files, Tom, we need to move them on
the CVS server if we want to keep the history.

Oh, BTW, when you move *.am files into lib/am, you should also move
the other library files into lib/.  I would suggest lib/config (yes,
because I also promote AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(config/) and I know this is
controversial), in which we'd put config.guess etc.

        Akim