Re: 63-rename-var-vars.patch

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: 63-rename-var-vars.patch
Date: 09 Apr 2001 17:53:08 +0200

>>>>> "Tom" == Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:
Akim> In particular Automake cannot override user variables with
Akim> Automake variables.

Tom> Ok, that's good.  But if the user defines a variable
Tom> conditionally then automake should still be able to define it
Tom> when the condition does not hold.

Ouch!

Hm, we should keep this somewhere, say TODO.

Akim> What are the ideal rules we'd like to have?

Tom> As much as possible variable assignments should work as the user
Tom> "expects".

Tom> Mostly we did ok here.  But there were cases where we didn't.
Tom> For instance this didn't used to work:

Tom>     foo = whatever if COND foo += something else endif

Didn't check (I'm finishing the application of the first chunk of
patches), but I see no reason for this not to work.