Re: 31-simplify-contents-traces.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 31-simplify-contents-traces.patch
Date: 07 Apr 2001 14:49:52 -0600

>>>>> "Akim" == Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

Akim> This patch and a couple of following patches are breaking
Akim> Automake.  That was the easiest path to finish cleaning up the
Akim> variable handling.  This series of patches ends with patches
Akim> that fix some of these issues.

Akim> It took me hours to do that, I'd like not to be asked to rewrite
Akim> everything so that Automake is never broken, as there are
Akim> zillions of ramifications here and there that are extremely hard
Akim> to keep alive.

Ok, but since I don't know the final patch in the series, if I don't
get to it please hold off committing until I do.

I'm hoping to do a fair number of patches this afternoon though.

Akim> cat > Makefile.am << 'END'
Akim> [...]
Akim> DEPS = @DEPS@
Akim> [...]
Akim> END

Akim> But the policy up to now is `let the user shoot in her foot if
Akim> she wants to', therefore patch 42 reestablishes this right.
Akim> Maybe in the future we should issue warnings in these cases?
Akim> It's her right to shoot in her foot, but law requires that you
Akim> inform her of her rights :)

Yeah, we have to continue to allow this.
There are weird cases where you really do want to do it.

This patch is ok.

Tom