Re: [suggestion] new target GTAGS.

From: Shigio Yamaguchi
Subject: Re: [suggestion] new target GTAGS.
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:31:50 +0900

> Here is what I'm adding:
>
>     ## Support `Global' tags.
>     GTAGS:
>           here=`cd $(top_builddir) && pwd` && cd $(top_srcdir) && gtags -i $$
here

All right. Thank you.

> >> By the way, where does automake put tag files to?
>
> It puts them in the build directory.
> This might be the same as the source directory, if the user chose to
> configure in the source tree.

In BSD system, '/usr/obj' + <current directory> is used for build directory.
(from now on, I say it 'obj' directory.)

        % cd /home/owner/prog
        % make obj                      <= make 'obj' directory
        /usr/obj/home/owner/prog created for /home/owner/prog
        % make
        cc -O -pipe -Wall -I/home/owner/prog   -c /home/owner/prog/main.c
        % ls *.o
        ls: No match.                   <= source directory is read only.
        % cd /usr/obj/home/owner/prog
        % ls *.o
        main.o   ...            <= *.o files are wrtten in 'obj' directory.

To support BSD build system, global locate tag files not only in source
directory but also in 'obj' directory.

        % cd /home/owner/prog
        % make obj                              <= make 'obj' directory
        % gtags /usr/obj/home/owner/prog        <= write tag files in 'obj'
        % ls G*                                    directory.
        ls: No match.
        % global -x main
        main              83 main.c        main(argc, argv)
        % cd /usr/obj/home/owner/prog
        % ls G*
        GPATH   GRTAGS  GSYMS   GTAGS

If there is a convention in automake, I can support it.
--
Shigio Yamaguchi - Tama Communications Corporation
Mail: address@hidden, (Spare mail: address@hidden)