Template instantiation and autotools

From: Marc van Woerkom
Subject: Template instantiation and autotools
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:16:00 +0100 (CET)

> > buildme.c:
> >   /* void do_really_nothing_useful() { } */
>
> This is not a valid C program.  A C program must contain at least one
> valid declaration.  Try something like `static int i;'

Ok.

What still bothers me are C++ templates.

Before autoconfication, the project in foo.h  slurped in some
foo.c file with template code.
I changed those into fooT.h, to have them treated at least
as headers (automake <= 1.4, only headers in differen dirs).

The goat book lists the problem in 15.3.1, but it does not
feature a solution.

The link to that Mozilla portable C++ doc is nice, but if
I remember right, it basically says use nothing more
recent than Stroustrup 2nd Ed. (no templates, no rtti, no
exceptions..).

So back to all that bs about template instantiation..
this is soo depressing.. did anything at all improve since '95?

Thanks again!
Marc