Re: libs in subdirs

From: Bryan VanDeVen
Subject: Re: libs in subdirs
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:27:00 -0600

> It's called creating `convenience libraries'.  Check the docs.

> I think the frequency for this question qualifies it for the creation of a
> FAQ file in the automake distribution (designated to only this question, if
> you may :)...

the general index for the automake docs at
http://sources.redhat.com/automake/ lists nothing for convenience libraries,
and the section http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#A%20Library
also does not mention building up one static lib from several smaller static
libs in subdirectories.

I have seen convenience libs mentioned only in connection with libtool,
which, as I mentioned, we can't use.  A Google search likewise turned up
references inside libtool docs.  So, if there is a way to do this without
libtool, please point me in the direction of the relevant doc and I will be
more than happy to read it.

--
Bryan Van de Ven
Applied Research Labs