[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
FYI: undust TODO
FYI: undust TODO
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:12:34 +0100
Gnus/5.1003 (Gnus v5.10.3) Emacs/21.3 (gnu/linux)
I'm checking this in.
2003-12-04 Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden>
* TODO: Remove some old entries.
RCS file: /cvs/automake/automake/TODO,v
retrieving revision 1.420
diff -u -r1.420 TODO
--- TODO 6 Jul 2002 10:21:33 -0000 1.420
+++ TODO 4 Dec 2003 21:09:47 -0000
@@ -115,12 +115,8 @@
(actually: hack config.cache and do it)
* per-exe flags
-** We're using `$<' in explicit rules when using per-exe flags
-** per-exe flags don't work for CPPFLAGS/YFLAGS/LFLAGS. Fix.
** LIBOBJS shouldn't be used when there are per-exe flags (?)
-* Test nodist_SOURCES with lex, yacc, etc.
* Support subdir-objects with fortran
* Allow creation of Java .zip/.jar files in natural way
@@ -131,25 +127,11 @@
still won't put the file into the disty. This is wrong.
From Mark H Wilkinson <address@hidden>
-* in gnu/gnits mode, give error if Makefile.am overrides a user
- variable like CFLAGS.
- [ this is low priority because the package author can always
- circumvent our check by redefining in configure.in
- plus it is probably better to encourage good behavior than to
- punish bad ]
* examine possibility of using any character in a macro name
and rewriting names automatically. this means we must rewrite
all references as well.
[ this is a 2.0-style feature ]
-* AM_CONFIG_HEADER might generate the wrong stamp file names
- when given multiple headers. Write a test.
-* Currently don't correctly handle multiple inputs to a config header.
- [ this should no matter in the future as acconfig.h and so on are
- obsoleted by the AH series of macros.]
* `distcheck' and `dist' should depend on `all'
* Add code to generate foo-config script like gnome, gtk
@@ -158,10 +140,6 @@
adopt some conventions and use uniformly
[ this is a good thing for the rewrite ]
-* make distcheck uses directories like `=build'.
- Some (very rare) POSIX systems don't support `=' in filenames.
- If this ever becomes a problem, fix it
* distclean must remove config.status
can't this cause problems for maintainer-clean?
shouldn't maintainer-clean print the message before running
@@ -185,6 +163,8 @@
or some other arbitrary thing?
right now we try to cope, but not very well
[ this is only of theoretical interest for now ]
+ [ We now have an 'inner_expand' option to traverse_recursively,
+ but it is not yet used. ]
* make sure every variable that is used is also defined
[ we don't really look at variable uses in detail.
@@ -197,8 +177,6 @@
* NORMAL_INSTALL / NORMAL_UNINSTALL -vs- recursive rules
[ requires changes to the standard ]
-* copyrights on m4 files, aclocal output
* should not put texiname_TEXINFOS into distribution
should rename this macro anyway, to foo_texi_DEPENDENCIES
@@ -242,19 +220,6 @@
Avoid loops when installing; instead unroll them in automake
[ Impossible when @AC_SUBST@ values are used. ]
-* for new autoconf:
- * completely handle multi-":" mode for AC_CONFIG_HEADER
- * Scan multiple input files when Makefile is generated?
- This would provide flexibility for large projects; subsumes
- the "Makefile.tmpl" idea
- [ can't do this. must explain why in manual.
- basically, solving all the problems is too hard
- like: how to remove redundancies between generated .in files
- instead should implement `include' directive for Makefile.am ]
-* for multi-":" mode and AC_OUTPUT, it might be good to pick the
- first input file that has a corresponding .am file.
Some long-term projects:
* if $(FOO) is used somewhere, ensure FOO is defined, either by
user or by automake if possible
@@ -288,6 +253,7 @@
!! Must fix require_file stuff. It is really gross, and I don't
understand it any more.
+ [ Seconded. ]
Jim's idea: should look for @setfilename and warn if filenames too long
* guess split size
@@ -331,10 +297,6 @@
[ this will be harder to implement when scanning a rule like all-recursive
from subdirs.am ]
-* Should be a way to have "nobuild_PROGRAMS" which aren't even built,
- but which could be by running the magic make command.
- [ How does it differ from EXTRA_PROGRAMS? ]
* Must rewrite am_install_var. Should break into multiple functions.
This will allow the callers to be a little smarter.
@@ -362,10 +324,6 @@
uninstall and pkg-dirs should rm -rf the dir.
-a potential bug: configure puts "blah.o" into LIBOBJS, thus implying
-these files can't be de-ansified. Not a problem?
- [ fix by using ansi2knr wrapper program ]
In general most .am files should be merged into automake. For
instance all the "clean" targets could be merged by keeping lists of
things to be removed. This would be a lot nicer looking. Note that
@@ -403,6 +361,7 @@
It might be cool to generate .texi dependencies by grepping for
@include. (If done, it should be done the same way C dependencies are
+[ Ask Karl Berry for a -M option to makeinfo and texi2dvi? ]
It would be good to check some parts of GNU standards. Already check
for install-sh and mkinstalldirs. What else is required to be in
@@ -469,17 +428,10 @@
- required targets
- NORMAL_INSTALL junk
-what goes in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR
-multi-":" mode in AC_OUTPUT -- automake only looks at the first file
- also a note on how a .am file is found in this case
rationale for avoiding
make CFLAGS="$CFLAGS" ...
in subdirs make rule
-a package that installs its own aclocal macros
write example of using automake with dejagnu
follow calc example in dejagnu docs
@@ -495,9 +447,6 @@
document how to use Automake with CVS. Idea from Mark Galassi. Also
include Greg Woods' more sophisticated "cvs-dist" target.
-document rebuilding configure. CONFIGURE_DEPENDENCIES
-- must document all variables that are supposed
to be public knowledge
@@ -599,6 +548,18 @@
[ BUILT_SOURCES are for files that need to be built before anything
else because of hidden dependencies (something .c files are
unlikely to be) ]
+* Scan multiple input files when Makefile is generated?
+ This would provide flexibility for large projects; subsumes
+ the "Makefile.tmpl" idea
+ [ can't do this. must explain why in manual.
+ basically, solving all the problems is too hard
+ like: how to remove redundancies between generated .in files
+ instead should implement `include' directive for Makefile.am ]
+* Should be a way to have "nobuild_PROGRAMS" which aren't even built,
+ but which could be by running the magic make command.
+ [ We already have EXTRA_PROGRAMS for this. ]
* copyright notice
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- FYI: undust TODO,
Alexandre Duret-Lutz <=