Re: new snapshot available: autoconf-2.72c

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: new snapshot available: autoconf-2.72c
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 20:02:18 -0700

On Mon, Mar 27, 2023 at 10:18 AM Zack Weinberg <zack@owlfolio.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 27, 2023, at 11:38 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> > We're overdue for a new release, so here's a snapshot in preparation
> > for that, which I want to call 2.73 (skipping 2.72).  There has never
> > been an autoconf-2.72 release, yet `git describe` now prints 2.72c and
> > has been printing strings like v2.72a-92-g8db00aa8 for years.
>
> Just as a note, I thought this version numbering scheme was weird too the
> first time I encountered it, but the historical practice has been that 2.72a,
> 2.72b, 2.72c, etc. are beta releases of 2.72.
>
> >   https://meyering.net/ac/autoconf-ss.tar.xz      1.4 MB
> >   https://meyering.net/ac/autoconf-ss.tar.xz.sig
> >   https://meyering.net/ac/autoconf-2.72c.tar.xz
>
> Are you able to upload this to ftp.gnu.org as an official beta?

Yes. Done. I ran this:

  ./build-aux/gnupload --to alpha.gnu.org:autoconf
autoconf-2.72c.tar.gz autoconf-2.72c.tar.xz

So these now work, too:

  https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.72c.tar.xz
  https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.72c.tar.gz

> > NEWS
> >       Port to compilers that moan about K&R func decls
> >       More fixes for compilers that reject K&R function definitions.
>
> Compatibility with compilers that reject unprototyped function declarations
> should maybe get a more prominent NEWS entry.

No strong feeling, but you're welcome to adjust it.