Re: How can Autoconf help with the transition to stricter compilation de

From: Michael Orlitzky
Subject: Re: How can Autoconf help with the transition to stricter compilation defaults?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 16:10:00 -0500

On Thu, 2022-11-10 at 12:16 -0500, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> Nobody has a whole lot of time to work on Autoconf at present, but I
> would like to ask, anyway, what Autoconf could potentially do to make
> this transition easier.

While everyone else is discussing big ideas, it would be helpful for me
personally if autoconf just made a release with the latest bugfixes.

I report these compatibility issues upstream, and it's awkward to have
to tell the maintainers that they must cherry-pick a git commit,
rebuild autoconf, and then autoreconf their project before they can
even even think about exporting CFLAGS="-Werror=..." to build-test
their project.