Parallelization of shell scripts for 'configure' etc.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Parallelization of shell scripts for 'configure' etc.
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 15:39:23 -0700

In many Gnu projects, the 'configure' script is the biggest barrier to building because it takes soooo long to run. Is there some way that we could improve its performance without completely reengineering it, by improving Bash so that it can parallelize 'configure' scripts?

For ideas about this, please see PaSh-JIT:

Kallas K, Mustafa T, Bielak J, Karnikis D, Dang THY, Greenberg M, Vasilakis N. Practically correct, just-in-time shell script parallelization. Proc OSDI 22. July 2022. https://nikos.vasilak.is/p/pash:osdi:2022.pdf

I've wanted something like this for *years* (I assigned a simpler version to my undergraduates but of course it was too much to expect them to implement it) and I hope some sort of parallelization like this can get into production with Bash at some point (or some other shell if Bash can't use this idea).