Running autoconf and autoreconf without autotools in the path

From: Christopher O Cowan
Subject: Running autoconf and autoreconf without autotools in the path
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 19:05:36 +0000

Just curious if there is a feature within autotools to allow me run autoconf
and similar utilities via an absolute path, without the autotools suite
commands, in the PATH.  Maybe this already exists, and I just haven’t stumbled
across it?

I am aware, that this probably on enforced by convention, and that each
individual package developer could change this at will.  And perhaps this is
package/project specific.    I ran into this with rsync, just for the record.

I’m trying to do build on a platform where I’m trying to keep the footprint to
the absolute minimum.    Most of my GNU tools including, autotools, use a
separate prefix (that is not /usr/local).   I’m always worried that if I add
the autotools, to my path, I have to thoroughly check for configure logs,  for
artifacts that I may not want in my builds.   (Particularly with something like
pkgconfig in the mix).

I’m envisioning a feature where certain commands might be specified by
explicitly via ENV vars, when I’m actually running autoconf or autoreconf.
Such as,  AUTOCONF, ACLOCAL,  AUTOM4TE, AUTOMAKE, AUTOPOINT, LIBTOOL,
LIBTOOLIZE, etc..    In my mind, it would be easy to replace occurrences of
automake in the templates, with something like
${AUTOMAKE:-automake}, for example.

I think this would allow a bit more control over the various build phases,
including autogen and configure.
It would also allow me to run different versions of autotools, as well.

Regards,
--
Chris Cowan