Configure.in can't detect Xft libraries.

From: alexandre schenberg
Subject: Configure.in can't detect Xft libraries.
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 17:41:24 +0300

   Hello. I am currently trying to compile pango with support to the Xft
   libraries, both being outside the system default search places.

   Unfortunately, pango's configure is unable do detect it, no matter
   which way I use to pass it.

   As  I usually do with any other X libraries, first I tried to use
   CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS. Surprisingly, it did not work. Then I tried
   --x-includes and -x-libraries (same result) and in an already act of
   despair,  I tried to employ PKG_CONFIG_PATH (never worked before for
   any X librariy, unless if it was another x library trying to detect
   it). After all failed, I looked into configure.in.

   In the AC_OUTPUT section, there is:

   if $have_xft ; then backends="$backends Xft"; fi

   So logically, "have_xft" value is set to zero. If I cheat and
   substitute it for "have_x", configure detects it.

   More to the beginning, there is:

   # Checks for Xft/XRender
   #
   if $have_x && $have_freetype ; then
   PKG_CHECK_MODULES(XFT, xft >= 2.0.0, have_xft=true, :)
   fi
   else
   AC_MSG_WARN([No fontconfig found, skipping tests for FreeType and Xft])
   fi

   AM_CONDITIONAL(HAVE_FREETYPE, $have_freetype)
   AM_CONDITIONAL(HAVE_XFT, $have_xft)

   I edited it and added "AC_MSG_WARN([BUDA!!!!])" inside the "if", to see
   if it was being executed. And it is!

   So I came to the point where I am unsure of the cause of the miss
   detection.

   Is there a way to debug it to find the cause?

   Thanks for your time.