Re: Hidden files in autoconf 2.70 distribution?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Hidden files in autoconf 2.70 distribution?
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 11:48:08 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, Bruce Korb wrote:

Tho the instance is particular to gnulib, it is of a more general interest, too.

Yes. I have always been against approaches which tie release tarballs to the version control system used since this would created dependency and make some people more equal than others. Release tarballs are a product of the version control system and the release process but it seems wrong for the tarball to contain additional content as an artifact of the version control system or the process used.

Any end user should be able to pick up the contents of a tarball and do 'make dist' and 'make distcheck' based only on the contents of the release tarball and without access to the original version control system. Hopefully this is still the case.

Bob