Re: autoconf-2.69c released [beta]

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: autoconf-2.69c released [beta]
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 13:03:03 -0500 (CDT)

Today I am trying autoconf-2.69c with GraphicsMagick's configure.ac and am only encountering utter failure.

A great many macros (still used to provide backward compatibility) are now declared as obsolete. I ran 'autoupdate' and see that AC_TRY_COMPILE statements were changed to use new syntax. The problem is that with the replacement code it inserted I get this m4 error:

libtoolize: found LT_INIT invocation
m4:configure.ac:1045: recursion limit of 1024 exceeded, use -L<N> to change it
autom4te: error: /usr/gnu/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
m4:configure.ac:1045: recursion limit of 1024 exceeded, use -L<N> to change it
autom4te: error: /usr/gnu/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
autoheader: error: '/usr/local/bin/autom4te' failed with exit status: 1
m4:configure.ac:1045: recursion limit of 1024 exceeded, use -L<N> to change it
autom4te: error: /usr/gnu/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1

I am also concerned that the first active line after executing 'autoupdate' is this:

AC_PREREQ([2.69c])

Presumably this means that version 2.69c is required to re-autoconf the configure script. I certainly could not impose this overwhelming burden on my users. If the resulting output can not be used with the prevailing version (2.69) then I can not use it! I don't see now a new release can obviate the stable release which preceded it and is still in primary use!

Under OpenIndiana I still get 6 test failures.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/