Re: Any plan to handle Bash 5.0 BASH_ARGC & BASH_ARGV?

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: Any plan to handle Bash 5.0 BASH_ARGC & BASH_ARGV?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:55:34 -0500

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 3:44 PM Tadeus Prastowo <address@hidden> wrote:

> When building http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.69.tar.xz
> using Bash 5.0, make check reports many failures concerning
> [shell variables BASH_ARGC and BASH_ARGV]

This has already been patched in Autoconf development trunk. If you
apply the patch at
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/patch/?id=5b9db67786a428164abafe626ab11a2754aad528
to your copy of autoconf 2.69, almost all of the failures should go
away. You may also want to consider applying
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/autoconf.git/patch/?id=dfb0659b205e03af62542cd318a9f3253e28c40a
which fixes issues that the test suite has with newer versions of
Perl.

Note that these issues _only_ affect the test suite; as far as I know,
configure scripts generated by autoconf 2.69 work just fine with bash
5 and current versions of perl.

A new release of autoconf is overdue, but currently no one has time to
do all of the testing that would be required.  If you would like to
help, probably the most useful thing you can do is download and
install the development version (see
https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=autoconf ), use it to regenerate
your configure scripts, test them, and report whether or not you had
any problems.  (Please don't just tell us about bugs!  If you have no
problems at all with the development version that's valuable
information too.)

zw