Re: No macro for C11/C18?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: No macro for C11/C18?
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 11:23:42 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020, Christian Biesinger wrote:

Hi there!

I noticed that autoconf has a macro to enable C99 (AC_PROG_CC_C99),
but apparently no such macro for C11 or C18. I was wondering if a
patch for that would be acceptable in principle or if this is missing
intentionally?

Given that the last Autoconf release was in 2012, it should not surprise if C18 was missing, and C11 as well.

The only concern might be if enabling more modern C standard versions might cause unexpected failures. For example, if a recent GCC is used on a system with older headers which are not ready for C11 or C18, then there are likely to be unexpected failures. The test would need to be rigorous in order to detect such cases and fall back to the newest working version. If the software really does need such a new C standard vesion in order to work properly, then there is a problem.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt