testsuite could basename the "Generated from"

From: Luke Mewburn
Subject: testsuite could basename the "Generated from"
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 09:33:47 +1000

Hi all,

The autotest testsuite as generated by AT_INIT() (from autoconf 2.69)
puts the full path into the generated file, which can result
in "regen churn" when different checkout paths are used.

E.g., if I've regenerated in a "build" subdir of a checkout with
something like:
        mkdir build
        cd build
        \../configure --enable-maintainer-mode
        touch ../tests/testsuite.at
        make

(I use \../configure to stop my shell fully expanding the path)

The tests/testsuite starts with:
        #! /bin/sh
        # Generated from ../../tests/testsuite.at by GNU Autoconf 2.69.
If I use /full/path/to/configure then the line would have been:
        # Generated from /full/path/to/testsuite.at by GNU Autoconf 2.69.
I notice that autoconf generating configure, and automake generating
Makefile.in both store the basename of the source file in the comments.

Currently I'm using the following to simulate this in testsuite.at
after AT_INIT():
        m4_cleardivert([HEADER-COMMENT])dnl
        m4_divert_text([HEADER-COMMENT],[dnl
        @%:@ Generated from m4_bpatsubst(__file__,[^.*/\(.*\)],[[\1]]) by
m4_PACKAGE_STRING])dnl

I think that AT_INIT() should do this by default.

If this is a good idea, I'll consider submitting a patch for AT_INIT()
in autoconf.

regards,
Luke.