Re: Skip all version checks with autoconf?

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Skip all version checks with autoconf?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 17:06:36 -0500

On 08/24/2018 04:55 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
I'm catching this error on Fedora 28, x86_64, fully patched:

$ autoreconf -fi
configure.ac:35: error: require Automake 1.16.1, but have 1.15.1
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

You'll need to ask whatever project you are trying to build what feature from automake 1.16 they actually require, or whether they can relax their autoconf.ac to list a lower version number in their AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE() invocation.

This is a chronic problem with Autotools. Nearly every program that
gets patched has a problem like this. I no longer want to perform
version checks. I waste too much time dicking around with the problems
they cause.

It is not autoconf's problem when someone writes a configure.ac that wrongly claims to use too-new of a version of automake. But if you don't think the package is actually relying on a feature that only that newer automake provided, you are welcome to edit configure.ac and change the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE() line to list a lower version number, rerun autoreconf, and see if it completes successfully.

I'm happy to take a break later in the process. I think I have more
hope of fixing the actual problem if it is encountered.

How do I skip all version checks?

There's no magic environment variable to skip version checks built into autoreconf, but as with all open source, you are welcome to edit the source code at fault (the project's configure.ac) to comment out that project's particular version check.

Or, actually install newer versions of the autotools.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266