Re: How to write directly to config.h from configure?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: How to write directly to config.h from configure?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 14:32:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

Yeah, we changed minimum requirements to C++03 recently (from C++98).
The problem is we risk breaking user code, especially on Windows
platforms where <stdint.h> or <cstdint> did not arrive until about
2010.

Using <inttypes.h> is more portable than <stdint.h> since it was defined earlier.

It is easy to conflate the compiler with the system header files. On Unix type systems, often inttypes.h or stdint.h comes from system header files rather than the compiler. For Microsoft Windows, the header likely comes from the SDK, which is mostly independent of the OS version.

It all comes down to if you choose to abandon a portion of potential users (typically non GNU-Linux) for the sake of convenience. I have not decided to do that yet since it has not proven difficult to support old compilers and systems even dating from the late '90s.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn