Re: unable to escape ! in autotest stdout comparison text

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: unable to escape ! in autotest stdout comparison text
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 19:47:01 -0600

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 7:34 PM, Nick Bowler <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2018-05-29, John Calcote <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'm trying to create a test using autotest that compares the stdout of my
>

> So, we can do (totally untested)
>
> AT_INIT
> AT_SETUP([tg1])
> printf 'Hello from %s/src/prog!\n' "$abs_top_builddir" >expout
> AT_CHECK(["$abs_top_builddir/src/prog"],,[expout])
> AT_CLEANUP

Nick, your "totally untested" code works perfectly!

I'd actually thought of using expout, but was hoping for a more compact
solution. I think I've exhausted all the ways I've ever heard of
escaping/emasculating a bang in a command line. Was sort of hoping to find
some shell guru out there. The thing is, though, it's one of those
situations where the expansion functionality in autotest is just a little
less functional than the shell itself.

Thanks!
John