Re: config.status and /bin/sh on Solaris

From: Dimitrios Apostolou
Subject: Re: config.status and /bin/sh on Solaris
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 01:29:48 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017, Eric Blake wrote:

On 01/27/2017 01:11 PM, Dimitrios Apostolou wrote:

Where is the source for this shebang generation? Maybe I can make some
sense out of it.

The #! line in config.status is _supposed_ to be the value of
CONFIG_SHELL (whether inherited from the environment because you pre-set
it, or because it was the value of the best candidate shell found during
the initial startup of configure where it re-exec's itself into the best
shell found).

So I've been tracing the execution of "configure", but I don't CONFIG_SHELL to be set, and the script reaches a point that the following happens:

SHELL=${CONFIG_SHELL-/bin/sh}
export SHELL

So SHELL is now /bin/sh and config.status is generated as such:

cat >$CONFIG_STATUS <<_ASEOF || as_write_fail=1
#! $SHELL
# Generated by $as_me.

But a trace of manually running '/path/to/shell -x ./configure' may help
see what was probed (warning, the trace may be huge, so don't go blindly
posting megabytes of stuff to this list).

Trying to mimic my build environment, here is the command that always reproduces this behaviour (the CSW part of the path has no shell, just other utilities):

PATH=/opt/csw/bin:/usr/xpg4/bin:/usr/bin   /usr/xpg4/bin/sh -x ./configure >trace2
2>&1

I'm still examining the logs, I'll send an update if I get closer to a solution. Thanks!

Dimitris