Re: Background processes in GNU Autotest

From: Olaf Mandel
Subject: Re: Background processes in GNU Autotest
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 18:24:19 +0200

Hello Mike,

Am 23.06.2016 um 07:19 schrieb Mike Frysinger:
> On 22 Jun 2016 22:52, Olaf Mandel wrote:
>> On 22.06.2016 21:12, Mike Frysinger wrote:
-Snipp-
>>> wouldn't you want the test itself to spin up/down the server as need
>>> be ?  that way you can write multiple end-to-end tests and have them
>>> all run in parallel.
>>>
>> You mean my "client" program starting the server itself? [...]
>> I will have to try if
>> this gives suitable debugging information (I am mostly interested in
>> memory debugging the real server, not the client that was only written
>> for testing).

I finally got it working exactly as I want: thank you for the solution.

>>> i'm guessing your method described above also doesn't work when you
>>> try to run all the tests in parallel.
-Snipp-

> probing for an open port would be one way to handle it.  if you can
> conditionally rely on Linux namespace features, you could create a
> new network namespace for each test which would give you a completely
> blank slate with localhost available.
> $ unshare -Urn
-Snipp-

Decided not to do that because I didn't need the parallel testing on one
machine and because my default user does not have the required
permissions. But now that I learned of this I will keep it in mind
should the need arise: thanks for pointing it out.

Best regards,
Olaf