Re: $sysconfdir substitution

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: $sysconfdir substitution
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 15:37:11 -0400

On 6/10/16, Kip Warner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I've already got access to the
> variable through the pre-processor (e.g. AM_CPPFLAGS), but I need the
> variable substituted in a non-compiled .in file with AC_CONFIG_FILES.

It would be possible to make this work by writing sh code to expand the
variables, but it is not recommended.  Users are supposed to be able to
set installation directory variables on the make command line, e.g.,

  make sysconfdir=/some/where

and substituting expanded paths in AC_CONFIG_FILES will usually fail in
this situation.

Instead, the straightforward approach is to generate the files with a
make rule, as suggested by Peter Johansson.

Regards,
  Nick