Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?

From: David A. Wheeler
Subject: Re: Mangled argument vector choking on spaces?
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 05:28:32 -0500

>While paths with spaces in them may be a fact of reality, they are
>non-portable according to POSIX.  It is going to be an uphill battle if
>you want to submit patches to make autoconf automatically handle file
>names with spaces, as there is nothing portable about them.

I just thought of an alternative. What if program searching did NOT insert the
directory path in front? At least if the path includes a space and the
directory is part of the PATH?  Seems to me that AC_CHECK_PROG could be
modified to allow something like this as this as an option.

E.g. when using AC_CHECK_PROG to search for "sbcl", the generated makefile
would say:
SBCL = sbcl

If this was done, then the fact that the directory path includes a space is no
longer mentioned.

--- David A.Wheeler