Re: new/custom installation directory

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: new/custom installation directory
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 03:38:57 +0000

Eric Blake writes:
> On 11/16/2014 11:51 PM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>> One installation directory choice I haven't found a good solution to
>> is the ntp.conf file, which is traditionally installed in /etc/ .  If
>> there is an ntp.keys file, it will usually go in /etc/ as well.
>>
>> In general, folks want the config-related files to be in /etc/ even
>> if they install the binaries in /usr/local.
>>
>> While I'd like to use sysconfdir for this I'm concerned about the
>> hackery I'd need to do to make it work as we expect.
>
> sysconfdir IS the solution you are looking for.  A distro will run:
>
> =2E/configure prefix=3D/ sysconfdir=3D/etc
>
> and things will just work.

Eric, it needs more than that.  We might be able to do it with:

 --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc

but that won't work because that also affects datarootdir, includedir,
localstatedir, and sharedstatedir.  I need sysconfdir to be $DESTDIR/etc
and all of the others to use $DESTDIR/usr/local/XXX .

>> I'm thinking about using ntpconfdir for this, but how to make that work
>> the way the other paths do hasn't been obvious to me from casual study.
>
> I don't see the point of adding a non-standard variable when the
> standard one already works as advertised.

If they work as advertised then what is advertised is not what I need in
this case.