Re: Bash security issue

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Subject: Re: Bash security issue
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 12:05:34 -0300

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, Paul Eggert wrote:
> which is caused by a widely-distributed Bash fix that overreacted to
> the bug and is causing me more problems than the bug did.  Let's not
> do something like this with Autoconf.

Hmm, that "overreaction" is currently mitigating two undisclosed RCE bugs in
bash:

http://lcamtuf.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/bash-bug-apply-unofficial-patch-now.html
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/396256,further-flaws-render-shellshock-patch-ineffective.aspx

Which is going to trigger a third round of shellshock security updates
(because mitigated is not fixed) soon enough, at which point a lot of people
might well decide to patch bash to remove the functionality entirely.
NetBSD and FreeBSD already did.

But this doesn't affect autoconf, really.

What _could_ affect autoconf is that bash can add crap to the environment
which is illegal under POSIX, because bash functions are not as restricted
as POSIX environment variables.  Sorry, I don't have the link to the
relevant oss-sec post right now.

  Henrique Holschuh