Re: AC_PROG_CC wrongly setting $GCC=yes while clang is used

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC wrongly setting $GCC=yes while clang is used
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 11:57:50 -0700

On 09/08/2014 11:36 AM, Bastien Chevreux wrote:
Which brings me to what sparked my initial mail to the list: is there somewhere
in the autoconf system a macro which gives back the compiler family of the used
compiler so that one can take some action?

That would not be The Autoconf Way. :-)

The Autoconf approach is to test for features, not to test for compiler version and then infer features from the version. If you need webbed feet, then test for webbed feet; don't ask "Are you a duck?".