Re: A Closer Look at GNU AutoTools

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Subject: Re: A Closer Look at GNU AutoTools
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 08:34:47 -0300

On Fri, 05 Sep 2014, Hartmut Holzgraefe wrote:
> * the good old "Goats Book" which is also available online, and seems
>   to have received an update lately:
>
>     https://www.sourceware.org/autobook/autobook/autobook_toc.html
>
>   I still refer to my paper copy every once in a while, but by now
>   that one's so old that a lot of things need to be cross-checked
>   against current autotools documentation

This one is available under the OPL v1.0 with no extra options
(http://opencontent.org/openpub/).

It was updated in 2006 to address autoconf-2.59, automake-1.9.6, libtool
1.5.22.  This _should_ be fresh enough to be useful.

If someone looks it over and states that it is indeed useful for recent
autotools, I believe a pointer to this book should be added to the autotools
(autoconf, automake, libtool) websites.

In fact, the Debian project had it packaged in "non-free" for quite a
while[1].  It was removed in 2008, because "non-free" was carrying the
"unofficial" 1.4.4 edition from http://mdcc.cx/autobook/, which is obsolete
as it was never updated to the 1.5 official release.

[1] The Debian DFSG when applied to documentation is more restrictive than
the GNU free documentation license guidelines.  The autobook complies to the
GNU requirements for a free documentation license, at least according to
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#FreeDocumentationLicenses
since no options of the OPL were exercised in the autobook license.

  Henrique Holschuh