Issues using autoconf or automake

From: Jim Galarowicz
Subject: Issues using autoconf or automake
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 21:07:20 -0700

Hi all,

We've been struggling to figure out a problem that we are seeing when we use the newer default auto tools suite. I've been building an older set of tools to get around the issue that is described below.

I'm hoping someone might be able to see something obvious and give us a hint on how to fix the issue.

Using these tools, our build is successful.

   aclocal (GNU automake) 1.11.1
   automake (GNU automake) 1.11.1
   autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.68
   libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.2
   m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.13

Using these tools, we run into problems:

   aclocal (GNU automake) 1.13.4
   automake (GNU automake) 1.13.4
   autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69
   libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.2
   m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.16

We are able to bootstrap and configure successfully (it appears):
$ ./bootstrap
running bootstrap on top level source directory
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `libltdl/config'.
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/compile'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/config.guess'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/config.sub'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/depcomp'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/install-sh'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/missing'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config/ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `libltdl/m4'.
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/argz.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/libtool.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/ltdl.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/ltoptions.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/ltsugar.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/ltversion.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
libtoolize: putting libltdl files in LT_CONFIG_LTDL_DIR, `libltdl'.
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/COPYING.LIB'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/README'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/Makefile.am'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/configure.ac'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/aclocal.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/Makefile.in'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/config-h.in'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/configure'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/argz_.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/argz.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/loaders/dld_link.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/loaders/dlopen.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/loaders/dyld.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/loaders/load_add_on.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/loaders/loadlibrary.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/loaders/shl_load.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/lt__dirent.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/lt__strl.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/libltdl/lt__alloc.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/libltdl/lt__dirent.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/libltdl/lt__glibc.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/libltdl/lt__private.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/libltdl/lt__strl.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/libltdl/lt_dlloader.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/libltdl/lt_error.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/libltdl/lt_system.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/libltdl/slist.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/loaders/preopen.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/lt__alloc.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/lt_dlloader.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/lt_error.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/ltdl.c'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/ltdl.h'
libtoolize: copying file `libltdl/slist.c'
finished - running bootstrap on all directories

Our bootstrap script:

   aclocal --force -I m4
   libtoolize --force --ltdl --copy
   autoheader -f
   automake --foreign --add-missing --copy
   autoconf

But when we do a make clean or make of any sort, we see this:

make clean
CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && aclocal-1.13 -I libltdl/m4
 cd . && automake-1.13 --foreign
Makefile.am:63: error: HAVE_QTLIB does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
libopenss-runtime/Makefile.am:31: error: HAVE_LIBMONITOR does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL libopenss-runtime/Makefile.am:72: error: HAVE_LIBMONITOR does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL libopenss-runtime/Makefile.am:80: error: HAVE_PAPI does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL libopenss-runtime/Makefile.am:92: error: HAVE_BINUTILS does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL libopenss-runtime/Makefile.am:104: error: HAVE_LIBUNWIND does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL

We don't see these errors with the older set of tools.

I've seen from internet searches that this can be caused by using newer versions with AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE that has arguments, but ours doesn't. I think we are using the correct forms of the autoconf and automake commands, but something must not be correct.

Here are the key non-comment portions of our configure.ac file: (I attached the entire configure.ac file)

    20
    21    AC_INIT([OpenSpeedShop],[2.1_u2])
22 AC_COPYRIGHT([[Copyright (c) 2006-2014 Krell Institute. All Rights Reserved.]])
    23    AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])
    24    AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR([libltdl/config])
    25    AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
    26

    57    AC_USE_SYSTEM_EXTENSIONS
    58    AC_PROG_CC
    59    AC_PROG_CXX
    60    AC_PROG_FC
    61    AC_PROG_F77
    62
    63    AC_SUBST([build])
    64    AC_SUBST([build_cpu])
    65    AC_SUBST([build_os])
    66    AC_SUBST([host])
    67    AC_SUBST([host_cpu])
    68    AC_SUBST([host_os])
    69    AC_SUBST([is_cross_compile])
    70    AC_SUBST([prefix])
    71
    72    AC_CANONICAL_BUILD
    73    AC_CANONICAL_HOST
    74
    75    AC_DISABLE_STATIC
    76
    77    # Name the subdirectory that contains libltdl sources
    78    LT_CONFIG_LTDL_DIR([libltdl])
    79
    80    AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([libltdl/m4])
    81
    82    # Configure libtool with dlopen support if possible
    83    LT_INIT([dlopen])
    84
    85    # Enable building of the installable libltdl library
    86    LTDL_INIT([installable])
    87
    88    LT_INIT
    89
    90    AC_PATH_PROG([DOXYGEN], doxygen)
    91    AC_PROG_INSTALL
    92    AC_PROG_LEX
    93    AC_PATH_PROG([RPCGEN], rpcgen)
    94    AC_PROG_YACC
    95    #  Is ln available
    96    AC_PROG_LN_S
    97

Thank you for your time in looking at this.
I can send additional information.

Jim G.