Re: FOO_LIBS

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: FOO_LIBS
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 08:16:08 +0000

Gavin Smith writes:
> I don't understand why you can't put all the libraries in LIBS. You said
>
>> Originally I let configure put all of the libraries in the LIBS
>> variable, but I got a lot of pushback from folks with embedded
>> systems and similar targets where the extra libraries were taking up
>> too much space.
>
> Determing whether libraries are added to LIBS using --with flags would
> fix this problem, as they could disable unwanted libraries.

I need the libraries for some executables, not all.

But perhaps you know something about my project that I don't.  If that's
the case, please tell me more.

In the meantime, I noticed Bob uses things like:

 LIB_MATH=''
 AC_CHECK_LIB(m,sqrt,LIB_MATH="-lm",,)
 LIBS="$LIB_MATH $LIBS"
 AC_SUBST(LIB_MATH)

in the configure.ac, so I'm inclined to write a macro that I can use
like this:

 LIB_MATH=''
 AC_SUBST([LIB_MATH])
 FOO_SEARCH_LIB([LIB_MATH], [sqrt], [m], [AIF], [AINF], [OL])

and FOO_SEARCH_LIB would expand to something like:

 AC_SEARCH_LIBS([sqrt], [m], [case "$ac_cv_search_sqrt" in
   'none required') ;;
   'no') ;;
   *) LIB_MATH="$ac_cv_search_sqrt $LIB_MATH" ;;
  esac
  [AIF]],
  [AINF],
  [OL])