Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Pavel Raiskup
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 08:43:25 +0200

> > pros: we are able to easily patch also old packages (no-need to
> > autoreconfigure)
>
> There would still be a long bootstrap period where old tarballs would
> not have any way of running a modern config.sub/guess other than copying
> them in from the system versions.

I meant that you are able to patch the very small part of
config.guess/config.sub with checking for environmental variables and
thats all -> you don't have to touch this package in future.  The patched
config.sub is able to call system's one.  No need to bootstrap.

> Modifying the config.guess/sub files to call other versions of
> themselves was rejected by the maintainers a long time ago.

Was there considered environmental variable approach?

Pavel