Re: autoconf/tools produces to many top level files

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: autoconf/tools produces to many top level files
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:13:25 -0700

Bob Rossi <address@hidden> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 06:49:59AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>> On 04/12/2013 05:30 AM, Bob Rossi wrote:

>>> I'm creating a new project and using autotools. I've done this before,
>>> but for some reason this time I've noticed how many files autotools
>>> creates. It totally pollutes the top level of my project.
>>>
>>>     lib             <- Mine originally
>>>     aclocal.m4

>> Ask automake if that can be moved.  Autoconf does not create it.

> Wow! Thanks for this information, very helpful!

> I didn't solve aclocal.m4 yet, but..

You can tell aclocal to write the file somewhere else (with --output).
You may want to try just putting it into your AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR and see
if it happens to work.  Although that's going to force you to keep your
bootstrap script, since that means calling aclocal with a flag instead of
just running autoreconf.

>>>     bootstrap

>> Autotools don't create this.  That must be your doing, or else you are
>> using gnulib.

> Yes, this is mine. It's my autoreconf script. Does autoreconf work fine
> these days? or is there another way to generate all the scripts?

autoreconf just works, and I would pass it --no-cache.  I always suppress
the cache and don't really notice a significant difference.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>