rm -f core cause some troubles

From: picca
Subject: rm -f core cause some troubles
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 11:52:02 +0100

Hello, I have a problem with one of the projet I am trying to convert to
autoconf/automake.

during the configure process, I got plenty of

rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes
checking for sys/types.h... rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes
checking for sys/stat.h... rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes
checking for stdlib.h... rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes
checking for string.h... rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes
checking for memory.h... rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes
checking for strings.h... rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes
checking for inttypes.h... rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes
checking for stdint.h... rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes
checking for unistd.h... rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes
checking for dlfcn.h... rm: cannot remove `core': Is a directory
yes

Indeed one directory of the project is named 'core'.

Nevertheless once done with the configuration, 'make' works like a charm
and I obtain the right library.

now to trigger the real effect of this annoying message, the distcheck
target need to be be used

It gives this error

ERROR: files left in build directory after distclean:
./confdefs.h

so it seems to me that it should be allow to have a core directory in a
projetc, this is a valid name. So the logic when removing core files,
would be to check first thta they are real file and not a directory.

what is you opinion, is it an autoconf bug ?

Thanks

Frederic

ii  autoconf                             2.69-1                  all
         automatic configure script builder