Re: Selecting a C++ standard

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: Selecting a C++ standard
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 14:05:01 -0700

Paul Eggert writes:
> On 10/27/2012 01:38 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > Is anyone working on such a thing?
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> For C, we're deprecating the "I want version X"
> macros in favor of just AC_PROG_CC_STDC, which says
> "I want the latest version".  You might want to do
> that for C++ to, as it's more the Autoconf Way.

This is good news/bad news, IMO.

It means that if I want to do compliance testing to make sure a package
builds under a variety of compilers I have to do work "outside" of
autoconf to make that happen.

It also means that the installed STDC may be too old for what I want I
have to do other checks to make sure the installed STDC is sufficient.

It might be good to be able to say "at least C89".

And I'm also aware that some of the issues above need to be solved by
making sure the toolchain visible to configure contain the tools that
we want configure to actually use.